Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Little Update.

Okay, friends. Here’s the thing. Life is a tinsy bit busy these days … lots of motion and commotion and lovely lady friends and one cute boy and a plethora of books and assignments and too many greek vocab words and these kids I nanny and one fabulous God tying all my days together …. Sigh. Yes. Life is full.

So busy, in fact, that my 101 in 1001 has fallen a tad bit by the wayside. It has not been completely neglected, however! So…

Here’s to a little reflective update and in hopes that one day (preferably one of the days before the 1001 are up…) this list will be completed.

101 things in 1001 days-

1. read Calvin's Institutes

2. start an illustration file/collection – And can I just say, a few of them will make for some fabulously funny sermons some day. I can’t help that my life is a magnet for hysterical people and awkward interactions.

3. read my poetry in a public forum

4. skinny dip

5. get a tattoo

6. go to one new country

7. sew an entire outfit

8. pay for a stranger's coffee – You know how some businesses hire people to stand outside holding sale signs? Well, this precious little lady was doing the job so stinking faithfully … even though it was pouring rain and about 35 degrees. Hoping a venti estra-hot hot chocolate was the tinsiest bit of sunshine for her on that day.

9. write letters of reflective gratitude to my parents

10. successfully matchmake one couple – trust me peoples… I’ve tried.

11. try a daring haircut or color

12. barter with an antique vendor

13. Read Dickinson's "the Belle of Amherst" at Emily's childhood home in Amherst, MA.

14. preach a first person monologue

15. Participate in a protest

16. surprise my family for a weekend at home – this would be so much easier if I wasn’t so far away. Or so poor.

17. run a half marathon – why in the world did I put this on the list! Sigh …

18. learn to play "Hey Soul Sister" on the ukelele

19. give away 40 pieces of clothing (26/40) – does it still count that I donated six pieces the other day and bought one? Pssssh, I’m not subtracting…

20. take a photography journalistic day trip to a new place by myself

21. plan a day for just me and Jesus

22. swim in the ocean.

23. follow college football for one season

24. learn to play poker

25. find a favorite beer

26. take an East Coast friend to Jay's Dogs in Chicago

27. go one month without wearing makeup – full of lessons and learning and laughs (yay for alliteration!)

28. complete five pinterest projects (1/5) – Dear Pinterest, why-oh-why do you have to be so full of fabulous ideas that I cannot afford to create nor do I have time to complete? Your creativity makes me bitter.

29. get kate to come to new England – four of the most incredibly filling days. Ever.

30. live in gloucester

31. learn to drive a stick shift

32. read 3 books off of Dr. deRossett's book list

33. publish an article in a magazine

34. become a member of a church

35. become an aunt

36. visit an artist colony

37. use all ten punches in my membership card at the rock climbing gym (2/10)

38. give only homemade Christmas gifts.

39. take a photography class

40. learn basic sign language

41. make and elderly friend

42. learn to make good chili

43. drink more water – sheah. And peeing constantly. Sigh. It’s like I’m 7 years old.

44. learn to bake. something. anything.

45. tutor someone in preaching.

46. send flowers to my sisters at their high school.

47. learn how to link past blog posts in current ones. – booyah.

48. take Hemingway (my bike) on a Bostonian adventure – no better way to explore the city.

49. buy a killer pair of heels – dude, I rock some nude pumps. Too bad my life isn’t classy enough to wear them anywere.

50. read the news every morning.

51. defend a stranger against a rude one.

52. learn geography of europe

53. volunteer at a homeless shelter

54. learn to knit that winter hat I dreamed up.

55. take a day off. just because.

56. never say "I love you" unless I intentionally mean it.

57. write a letter to myself to open in 5 years

58. do a pull up – truly a Christmas miracle.

59. write an inspirational note and leave it in a library book for someone to find.

60. spend more time talking to Jesus

61. take a spontaneous road trip

62. have a reunion weekend with college friends

63. don't take food so seriously – more mac’n’cheese and burgers and salads these days. Less soda and desserts and other vegetables. And guess what? It’s just life. Shrug it off, yo. There are bigger things than what’s on your plate (or what’s not…).

64. be a better listener

65. shop less. save money. give it away.

66. go to a fall festival

67. do a newborn photo shoot

68. make s'mores over a bonfire by the ocean.

69. go ice skating.

70. write more notes.

71. kayak (is that a verb? or is it "go kayaking"? hmmm.)

72. finish the Psyche seasons

73. find out my blood type

74. blog every day for a month.

75. compliment 10 strangers. (2/10) - Oh, how to compliment those shoes without sounding like a creepster…

76. build a gigantic snowman.

77. take one week off all social networking sites.

78. grow a plant from a seed.

79. send a care package to an unexpecting freshman.

80. write a memorial piece to Tonya Nicholson.

81. Upgrade to a Cannon 60d.

82. tell more knock knock jokes.

83. anticipate Jesus coming back – seriously, folks. Can’t stop thinking about it and praying for Him to come.

84. believe that Jesus answers prayers – yep.

85. read T.F. Torrence on the Incarnation

86. make a recipe collection – from a favorite little person of mine.

87. ask grandma Gilbaugh about her childhood.

88. do a photoshoot fundraiser

89. find a mentor

90. make hammered jewelry

91. re-learn how to snow ski

92. memorize the book of james

93. make a quilt.

94. listen to others' opinion without giving mine

95. meet with each professor once each semester.

96. go to a drive-in movie

97. make non-Christian friends.

98. read poetry aloud every night before bed.

99. pray for the persecuted Church every day.

100. buy and use two pieces of camping equipment. (1/2)

101. inspire one other person to do a 101 in 1001.

So… we’re working on it! not too shabby. Not too impressive. But, I have a feeling, some more will be crossed off soon. How do I know? Well, you’re just going to have to stay tuned to find out ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a peice of your heart's ponderings: